Makes 24 hearts
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (makes 24 hearts):
- 200gms Devondale unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 ½ cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees
- Cream the butter and sugar using beaters until light and fluffy
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat in well
- Add the flour and fold in until well combined.
- Push the dough together with your hands to form a smooth ball, adding a little more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Divide dough into 2 even portions and form into flat discs. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Put one of the discs between 2 pieces of baking paper and roll out until 4mm thick.
- Use a 6cm star cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Carefully transfer the biscuits to an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Cut the centres out on the tray using a 2cm star shape and place a boiled lolly in the centre of each hole. Pierce a hole in the top of each biscuit with the end of a 5mm piping nozzle, if you want to hang them on your Christmas tree.
- Bake biscuits in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until pale golden and lollies have melted. Set aside on the tray to cool. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- Hang on the Christmas tree for an edible decoration.