Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 4 large field or flat mushrooms
- 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 chorizo sausage, chopped
- 125g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 4 Devondale Colby Cheese Slices
- 1 cup roughly diced sourdough bread
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 50g Devondale Original Butter, melted
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Trim stalks from mushrooms, finely chop and set aside. Place mushroom caps, stalk-side up, in a baking dish.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add mushroom stalks and chickpeas and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until onion is soft and chorizo has browned and cooked through. Stir in parsley.
- Spoon chorizo mixture into cavity of mushrooms. Top each with a slice of Colby Cheese. In a separate bowl combine sourdough bread, lemon rind, paprika and butter. Season to taste. Spoon breadcrumb mixture on top of cheese covered mushrooms. Bake at 180⁰C for 25-30 minutes or until mushrooms have cooked through and topping is browned.
- This recipe can also use Devondale Light n' Tasty or Mild All Rounder Cheese Slices.
- Chorizo mixture is delicious served on crusty bread, topped with a slice of Colby cheese and grilled until golden.
- Chorizo is available in the deli section of most major supermarkets.