Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/3 cups macaroni
- 1 cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 cups Devondale Full Cream Long Life Milk
- 2 tablespoons Devondale Dairy Soft Spread
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Devondale Tasty All Rounder Shredded Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Devondale Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 150g ciabatta bread (or turkish bread), torn into small chunks
- 60g Devondale Dairy Soft Spread, extra, melted
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Boil macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water for 3 minutes or until about a third cooked. Add cauliflower and cook until pasta is al dente and cauliflower is tender. Drain.
- Pour milk, dairy soft, flour, nutmeg salt and pepper into the saucepan all at once and season to taste. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, whisking constantly until thick, smooth and glossy. Mix the two cheeses together in a large bowl and stir half through the sauce along with macaroni, cauliflower and chives.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 2 1/2 litre capacity ceramic baking dish.
- Toss ciabatta in a bowl with extra dairy soft, remaining cheese and garlic. Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake at 180°C for 15 minutes. Turn on grill function in oven and grill for a further few minutes until golden. Stand for 2 minutes before serving.
- Use broccoli instead of cauliflower, if desired.
- White sauce can be made ahead and reheated in the microwave until hot before tossing through cooked cauliflower and pasta.
- When entertaining, make these into individual 'pots' for guests.
- Mac and cheese can be assembled up to 3 hours ahead. Allow an extra 5 minutes cooking in the oven.