Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into 2cm pieces
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry, cut in half
- 8 Devondale Mozzarella Cheese Slices, halved
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft, but not brown. Add the eggplant and zucchini and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes (and a splash of water if required). Simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture is thick and dry. Season to taste. Add the olive, capers, parsley, vinegar, sugar and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Place pastry rectangles on a baking paper lined oven tray. Place two cheese slice halves along the centre of each sheet. Spoon the vegetable mixture evenly on top of the cheese. Top with another two halves of cheese. Gently pleat the sides around the cheese to roughly enclose filling. Bake at 200⁰C for 15 minutes or until pastry and cheese is golden brown.
- Capers can be left out if desired.