Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 4 beef schnitzel steaks
- 8 DEVONDALE Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, smashed or roughly chopped
- 120g char-grilled red capsicum pieces
- 8 large basil leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- plain flour, for dusting
- 40g Devondale Original Butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20g caster sugar
- 1/4 cup port or sherry
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 sprig of thyme or rosemary
- 50g Devondale Original Butter, extra steamed greens, to serve
- Lay beef schnitzels on a clean chopping board. Pound with a mallet until thin. Top each with two slices of mozzarella overlapping in the centre of the meat. Top the mozzarella with black olives, capsicum and basil leaves. Season to taste. Fold long edges of schnitzel over to enclose filling and secure with a toothpick or small skewer. Roll in flour to coat lightly.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add butter and olive oil. When butter has melted, reduce heat to low and add schnitzel rolls, cooking for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until meat is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Clean frypan and return to heat. Add sugar and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until sugar has melted and turn golden brown (like toffee). Add port and red wine and cook for 30 seconds or until reduced. Add stock, garlic and thyme and simmer until reduced and slightly thickened. Remove herbs and whisk in extra butter. Serve with sliced beef and steamed greens.
- Substitute the red wine sauce with pre-made sauce or jus from the supermarket.