Preparation Time: 20 minutes (plus chilling time for jelly and custard)
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 3 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 2 tablespoons coffee flavoured liqueur (Kahlua, Tia Maria)
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 1/2 cups strong black coffee
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup vanilla flavoured custard powder
- 2 1/2 cups Devondale Full Cream Long Life Milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar, extra
- 230g unfilled sponge or madeira cake, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1/3 cup coffee flavoured liqueur (Kahlua, Tia Maria), extra
- 1 1/2 cups Devondale Thickened Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- crumbled biscotti, for garnish
- chocolate curls, for garnish
- Sprinkle gelatine over combined liqueur and water in a microwave proof jug and microwave on medium in 15 second bursts, stirring, until gelatine dissolves completely. Combine with coffee and sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour into 6 x 1 1/2 cup capacity serving dishes or dessert glasses and refrigerate until set.
- Mix custard powder with 1/2 cup milk to make a thin paste. Add sugar to the remaining milk in a saucepan and just bring to the boil. Pour in the paste and whisk continuously over medium-low heat until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and press cling wrap onto the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until almost set, but not hard.
- Divide sponge evenly over the jelly and drizzle with remaining liqueur. Whisk cooled custard until smooth and creamy and then spoon onto the sponge.
- Whip cream and vanilla bean paste in an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon onto the custard and garnish with crumbled biscotti and chocolate curls. Chill until required.