Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 500g lean beef mince
- 500g tomato pasta sauce with onion and garlic
- 75g Devondale Original Butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 3 cups Devondale Full Cream Milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 fresh lasagne sheets
- 200g packet Devondale Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Increase heat, add the mince and cook until browned. Add the pasta sauce and 1/2 cup water and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until liquid has reduced and slightly thickened. Cool.
- To make béchamel sauce, place butter, flour and milk into a cold saucepan all at once, bring to the boil over medium heat whisking continuously until thick, smooth and glossy. Season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly.
- Spoon a little mince mixture in the base of a 30cm x 20cm baking dish. Top with a lasagne sheet, one third of the remaining mince and one-quarter of the béchamel sauce. Repeat layers again then top with half the mozzarella slices (trimming to fit). Repeat layers again, finishing with remaining lasagne sheet and béchamel. Top with remaining mozzarella slices.
- Bake at 180⁰C for 30-40 minutes or until cheese has browned and pasta has cooked through. Stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Stir 2/3 cup Devondale Shredded Tasty Cheese through the béchamel sauce for an extra cheesey flavour.
- Increase the amount of vegetables in the lasagne, by adding grated carrot and zucchini to the mince after browning.
- In a real hurry, omit onion and instead of white sauce use store-bought bechamel sauce.
- If lasagne is browning too much during cooking, cover in foil to prevent over browning.