Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 75 minutes
- 2 medium (300g each) eggplants
- 50g Devondale Original Butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoons picked fresh thyme leaves
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, finely shredded
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 Devondale Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- 500g your favourite tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Halve eggplants lengthways. Cut a 1 cm wide border around the edge of each eggplant half. Score within the border in a diamond pattern. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the flesh; chop.
- Heat butter in a large frypan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add chopped eggplant and cook until soft. Add rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add spinach leaves, lemon rind and juice, basil and stock and simmer for 5 minutes or until spinach has wilted and most of the stock has evaporated. Remove from heat and season to taste. Fill eggplant halves with rice mixture.
- Combine the tomato sauce and water in the base of a 30 x 20cm baking dish. Put the eggplant halves into the tomato sauce. Cover with foil and bake at 200⁰C for 45 minutes. Uncover and top with mozzarella slices. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender and cheese is golden brown. Garnish with basil leaves.
- Add browned minced lamb to the rice mixture for a heartier meal.