Prep Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
• 375g good quality sausage mince
• 1 carrot, grated
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
• 3 tsp dried mixed herbs
• 1/3 cup tomato chutney or ketchup
• salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1 1/2 cups Devondale Tasty All Rounder Shredded Cheese
• 4 sheets puff pastry, thawed
• 1 egg beaten together with 2 tbsp Devondale Full Cream Long Life Milk, for glazing
• sesame seeds or poppy seeds, for sprinkling
• tomato chutney, extra, for serving
Mix mince, carrot, onion, breadcrumbs, herbs, chutney and seasoning together in a large bowl until combined.
Cut pastry sheets in half. Sprinkle the cheese along the centre of each length of pastry.
Spoon and shape meat into logs over the cheese. Brush one edge with egg wash and firmly roll pastry over the meat, pressing to seal edges. Cut each length into 4 sausage rolls.
Arrange on baking paper lined trays and brush with remaining egg wash. Sprinkle with seeds and make a diagonal cut into the top of each roll using a sharp knife.
Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve warm with extra tomato chutney.
It’s important to keep the cheese ‘contained’ when sprinkling on the pastry, to avoid it melting out. Sausage meat filling should cover the cheese layer entirely. Make sausage rolls ahead and freeze uncooked. Cook from frozen, allowing an extra 5-10 minutes cooking time. Substitute chicken mince, if desired.